AJ2018

Rifle buttstock pattern and type of leather

Recommended Posts

AJ2018   

I am making a new pattern for my Browning x-bolt stainless stalker 30-06 sprg rifle buttstock leather and cartridge loop. I am very good at making the pattern however I have a question about the leather type:

 

A) what type of leather should I use that is not expensive (medium priced)??

BB) should I put a leather antique stain first then apply leather oil, and finish it with a sheen? 

I will share the full pattern in PDF after it's done for whoever is interested. The pattern I am making is precise because I am using AutoCAD and Photoshop. 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micktx   

Hey AJ.  I use 5-7 ounce for my butt stock covers.  Mostly made of remnants I have hanging around.

Will be very interested in getting you pattern.  Here's a sample of what I do.

JamesGunCuff.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJ2018   
3 hours ago, micktx said:

Hey AJ.  I use 5-7 ounce for my butt stock covers.  Mostly made of remnants I have hanging around.

Will be very interested in getting you pattern.  Here's a sample of what I do.

JamesGunCuff.jpg

This is my initial Progress still have to do the cartridge loop and and Oval pattern shape that connect the knob behind the trigger to the rest of the material. over all lets see what you guys think.

x-bolt-leather-Buttstock_Rev1.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Halitech   
7 hours ago, AJ2018 said:

I am making a new pattern for my Browning x-bolt stainless stalker 30-06 sprg rifle buttstock leather and cartridge loop. I am very good at making the pattern however I have a question about the leather type:

 

A) what type of leather should I use that is not expensive (medium priced)??

BB) should I put a leather antique stain first then apply leather oil, and finish it with a sheen? 

I will share the full pattern in PDF after it's done for whoever is interested. The pattern I am making is precise because I am using AutoCAD and Photoshop. 

Cheers.

Some will say no chrome tanned leather, some will say veg tanned will absorb water. If you are planning on tooling, it will have to be veg tanned.

Steps I follow:

cut out

tool

stain or dye

resist if using antique

antique

oil

apply top finish

assemble

Some will line them, some won't, your personal preference on that

feather_basketweave1a.jpg

Edited by Halitech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do the same thing (veg tanned) as Halitech other than dipping it in 50/50 Resolene and water. After its thoroughly dry I then put the eyelets in and then lace it. The Resolene will gum up the eyelets at times and it's a bear to get the laces through! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_7358.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micktx   

Thanx AJ.  I think you will find experimenting with what others do and your ideas will result in fit and finish you want.  Will be very interested to see what you come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aresioh   

I too am making butt cover, and 1) I'm having trouble with the bullet loops. Im having a hard time pulling the trigger on design  2) scared that the eyelet will scratch the stock. Has anyone ever had seen wear the eyelet scratches the wood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJ2018   
2 hours ago, Aresioh said:

I too am making butt cover, and 1) I'm having trouble with the bullet loops. Im having a hard time pulling the trigger on design  2) scared that the eyelet will scratch the stock. Has anyone ever had seen wear the eyelet scratches the wood?

there is a solution to the eyelet problem, what i suggest for you is to put the eyelets on a small rectangular shape of leather and then stitch that rectangular piece with an offset on the actual buttstock cover that way the buttstock cover will secure your eyelet from scratching the stock. its very easy to do but don't make the rectangular piece too big, make it so it can take the eyelet and 1/8" for stitching it to the buttstock cover and then for the final put leather loop and loop both side of the buttstock cover.

second which rifle you working on now? are you extending the leather to the trigger side? like as i am doing with my browing x-bolt???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aresioh   
19 hours ago, AJ2018 said:

second which rifle you working on now? are you extending the leather to the trigger side? like as i am doing with my browing x-bolt???

I've never seen them. I'm making one for a .270 and .243. I'm using my winchester sxp 12ga as the template. I'm making one like TinBadge.

I was think about the same thing for the eyelets. I was planning on stitching a thin piece under the main part.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJ2018   

Browning x-bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06 sprg  Pattern Rev 3 .... Pending some more addons..

x-bolt Stainless Steel Stalker 30-06 SPRG Rev3.pdf

if you like to print this and see how it matches on the actual rifle , use paper size 17" x 11" or whats called Tabloid as paper type if you using PDF printer.

this case will cover the x-bolt stock up to the LOP (Length of Pull) which is the distance from the center of the trigger up to the end of the recoil pad.

if you like a new version to cover only the buttstock up the the LOC (length of comb) then drop me your feedback that is very easy to do.

Edited by AJ2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now