bikermutt07

Horween CXL Question

7 posts in this topic

Today I started on a new wallet with the burgundy horse strip. Got a nice straight edge on it and ran my Tandy original strap cutter. I cut my pattern length and two card pocket pieces.

I went to split the pieces down to about 3.5 ounces on my weaver 8 inch skiver splitter. Even though it was tough the main body went thru ok. But the 2 card pockets stretched all kinds on crazy.

So, my question is, will these pieces return to their cut dimensions after a day or so?

I haven't had much stretching with veg tan pulling thru it.

I have $23k band knife splitter and CXL  still stretches some for me... I can't imagine a "pull-splitter".   Make oversized pieces, split first, then cut your pockets.

50 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

I have $23k band knife splitter and CXL  still stretches some for me... I can't imagine a "pull-splitter".   Make oversized pieces, split first, then cut your pockets.

Well, they are over sized now....Ha!

It was a little brutal. 

Update: It wasn't fun but I was able to split it. This was only 4ounce horse strip and I was able to split it to 2 ounces. 

I took the long 4" ish strap I cut for my wallets and worked it upside down. This put all the stress onto the flesh side of the piece. Now I have a strip about 24" to use for some wallets. Yay!

On 3/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Update: It wasn't fun but I was able to split it. This was only 4ounce horse strip and I was able to split it to 2 ounces. 

I took the long 4" ish strap I cut for my wallets and worked it upside down. This put all the stress onto the flesh side of the piece. Now I have a strip about 24" to use for some wallets. Yay!

A 4" piece stretched to 24"??!!?  That is some stretch!  and apparently a way to increase your yields!  

YinTx

30 minutes ago, YinTx said:

A 4" piece stretched to 24"??!!?  That is some stretch!  and apparently a way to increase your yields!  

YinTx

If that's correct CXL just got 6x cheaper for OP...

Haha, no. It is still 4" wide.