Mjolnir

What's Your Handle? (Origins of your maker marks)

Recommended Posts

Tugadude is a nickname given me by my wife.  Many years ago we were on vacation in Mexico and saw a business called Las Tortugas.  I liked the sound of tortuga (Spanish for turtle) and the name stuck.  I tried to register the name on here as my "handle", but it was taken.  Sometimes the wife calls me Tortuga Dude so it got shortened to Tugadude.  Silly name, lengthy story but now you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been interesting to read all the responses thus far...I'll throw my two cents worth into the jar, I reckon.  My little brand is EagleWoods Leather. The Eagle portion comes as inspiration from Isaiah 40:31..."But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."  It was a favorite verse of my late father, who was a minister.  Woods is simply my last name.

I use two maker's marks (brass construction from ). Depending upon the size or style of the item that I'm working on, I'll use one or the other (wallet or small pocket holster would get the EWL...larger holster or belt get the USA stamp)

Makers Marks.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Double Daddy said:

It's been interesting to read all the responses thus far...I'll throw my two cents worth into the jar, I reckon.  My little brand is EagleWoods Leather. The Eagle portion comes as inspiration from Isaiah 40:31..."But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."  It was a favorite verse of my late father, who was a minister.  Woods is simply my last name.

I use two maker's marks (brass construction from ). Depending upon the size or style of the item that I'm working on, I'll use one or the other (wallet or small pocket holster would get the EWL...larger holster or belt get the USA stamp)

Makers Marks.jpg

Hey Chris - where did you get the brass stamps?

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted a link to the website...not sure why it didn't take. Let's skin this cat from a different direction...I posted a review of these stamps back in August of last year when I first received them (I was doing some re-tooling in my shop and new brass maker's mark stamps were part of that effort). Here's the link to that LW.net thread that I started...the link to the supplier's website is in there along with my review of the product:

 

Edited by Double Daddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Tugadude is a nickname given me by my wife.  Many years ago we were on vacation in Mexico and saw a business called Las Tortugas.  I liked the sound of tortuga (Spanish for turtle) and the name stuck.  I tried to register the name on here as my "handle", but it was taken.  Sometimes the wife calls me Tortuga Dude so it got shortened to Tugadude.  Silly name, lengthy story but now you know.

Been wondering about that one, mystery solved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Here are some pics of the stamp. First time to be seen on the open net. I built the image on Adobe CS4.

KIMG0672-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.0c970615ebfce99e5d7d4b1999e39f5a.JPG

 

In the impression you can see the slope. The left is at the proper depth going to an almost too shallow on the right.

My idea for the stamp is "Leather Nut".

KIMG0543-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.c14a5f38b30cd54d56cad64cfc276fe8.JPG

 

 

In this image you can see how the face and back are not parallel. The post is set square to the back face. Rossr and I were discussing how I might be able to fix it. But it will leave at the most a shallow impression.

KIMG0546-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.0c8959fe6c7d829dadadc1bbfd27f02f.JPG

Can you just sand it down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, wedgetail leather.

For starters, I'm Australian and the wedge-tailed eagle is an Australian Aquila. It is actually the largest aquila in the world.

My dad was Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) for 30 years or so. Every time he came home he was wearing the cap, with the RAAF emblem on it, which features the wedge-tailed eagle.

My favourite park to sit at for lunch, has a monument to the RAAF, which is basically a big bronze wedge-tailed eagle.

Later, I started working for Boeing on defence contracts. I was the configuration manager on the 737 AEW&C Wedgetail Modification Project.

While working on the wedgetail project, I met the woman who became my wife... get this: her name is Skye.

It seems to be a pretty significant symbol that keeps appearing in my life, so I ran with that.

20799511_1907434552906261_4540628498341742121_n_d800.jpg

Edited by Wedgetail
Added photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wedgetail I could sand it down. But then it would only be about 1/32 deep. It'll be easier to just get another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:25 AM, Wedgetail said:

Ok, wedgetail leather.

For starters, I'm Australian and the wedge-tailed eagle is an Australian Aquila. It is actually the largest aquila in the world.

My dad was Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) for 30 years or so. Every time he came home he was wearing the cap, with the RAAF emblem on it, which features the wedge-tailed eagle.

My favourite park to sit at for lunch, has a monument to the RAAF, which is basically a big bronze wedge-tailed eagle.

Later, I started working for Boeing on defence contracts. I was the configuration manager on the 737 AEW&C Wedgetail Modification Project.

While working on the wedgetail project, I met the woman who became my wife... get this: her name is Skye.

It seems to be a pretty significant symbol that keeps appearing in my life, so I ran with that.

20799511_1907434552906261_4540628498341742121_n_d800.jpg

Your stamp is a bar of steel! Did you make that? THAT is Cool! 'Ripper'? I googled Australian for cool.

Edited by Mjolnir
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Your stamp is a bar of steel! Did you make that? THAT is Cool! 'Ripper'? I googled Australian for cool.

Haha i designed it, literally it is the bird in my avatar blacked out to create a silhoette and converted to a vector image.... simple, but effective!

Can't claim credit for making it though. I had it made by these guys:

 http://gelandangan.weebly.com/leather-stamps.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cattle brand is my logo so that’s where mine came from nothing fancy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now